Well she decided that it would be no fun to share her birthday with her mother. Can you blame her??? Contractions petered out and the day has gone on. I am still having much stronger contractions but they just don't pattern. I still can't believe this little girl has stayed in so long.
I had an appointment with my midwife today and we've decided to set an induction date for this Thursday. I've already tried some natural induction methods which obviously have not worked. So, I am accepting that this might be the plan. Baby's got 48 hours to decide. I basically chose Thursday based on the midwife that is on call that day. I really like her approach to things and felt a lot of peace while chatting with her. Hopefully there will be a room available for me Thursday morning. If not, then I will have to wait until there is room for me, which could be Friday or even later. Friday I will be 14 days over my due date.
I really have struggled with the entire induction situation since I truly desire a natural, unmedicated birth. Honestly, the more time goes by, the harder this pregnancy becomes on the whole family, our finances and other such things. Plus, things get a little sketchy for a baby that goes over 42 weeks gestation. So I am accepting that induction might be in the cards and I actually feel better that we have a plan. I feel God's peace over the whole thing.
So now I am praying that baby will come on her own in the next day and a half and my body will do naturally what it has done once before. If induction becomes the last resort, then I will need wisdom on the approach. My cervix is very ripe and ready to go, so they don't think it will take much. Baby was at 0 station today so she is low but she has been a dipper. Dipping down into my pelvis and then coming back up. This is typically of second pregnancies. If she stays down in my pelvis, they can just break my water and chances are labor will ensue quickly. She would have to be down in my pelvis in order to not take the risk of a prolapsed cord. My midwife feels things would move along rather fast and I would not have to be on a constant fetal monitor. However, there is something to be said about keeping that bag of waters intact - protects the baby from stress, infection and helps the baby get into position. The other option is to start a Pitocin drip. My midwife said she thinks it would just take a little pitocin and my body would kick in on it's own and then they could back it down. They have a portable fetal monitor so I could still have mobility and go into a bath tub. It is rare that women are able to endure contractions with Pitocin so epidurals are the norm. However, my midwife thinks I would need so little pitocin that I could possibly still have an unmedicated birth this way. This is a tough decision for me and I'm hoping I don't have to make it myself. Any thoughts???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Thanks for the update! Tom and I are praying for all of you guys. God is definitely in control, and I'm glad that you feel peace about making an induction appt. I know it's a tough decision to make, but the peace of God is a wonderful indication of where He wants you.
It does sound like anything could happen within the next few days. It seems like your body is just about ready to deliver this baby! Your midwife is probably right about those two options. Which does she think is a better one?
Hopefully things will start happening before Thursday so you don't have to make the decisions!
C'mon baby girl!
What a an emotional roller coaster for you all. I know this has been really tough - you've been heavy on my mind and heart these last few weeks. I keep reading your posts, hoping that the next time I see your blog pop up, there will be a picture of a beautiful baby girl to greet me!
It sounds like your midwife is offering you some very sound advice and information. I know you all are praying hard, and I will too. It's a tough place you're in! I'll pray for a beautiful, peaceful birth whether induced or not. Nothing will matter once that sweet girl is in your arms.
I'll be praying...
-Andrea
I'm glad for the update. I, too, have been opening your blog and hoping for a picture of a sweet baby girl. What a tough decision. Your midwife sounds extremely conservative and in favor of you getting to have the unmedicated birth that you want. Kudos to you...and to her. She sounds as if she will help you to achieve that to the best of her ability.
With my second child, things went very fast...as if my body already knew what to do. My water broke on its own at home and less than 2 hours later, I was holding my baby boy. I had no time for pain meds. I pray that with a little nudge, your body would take over and do what it knows to do. Oh, and I went into labor the day that we set an induction date. :)
What a tough decision when you have strong convictions about a natural birth. I am praying and no matter what, you have peace with what happens at this birth. You in no way are compromising, just doing what moms do best...worrying, praying and leaning on Christ to lead us. Best wishes.
I found you through courtney's blog. I wanted to let you know I had an otherwise non-medicated birth with pitocin in August. (I wasn't induced my labor wasn't progressing) The contractions were pretty tough but I made it. It was my first baby too, and she was well over 9 lb's. I was in labor with the pit for about 10 hours, but like i said it was my first baby. I have another friend who did a non-painmed pitocin induction and did just fine. DOn't think you'll have to have an epidural, you could still have an otherwise natural birth. Prayers for you
Amanda was the only natural birth I had (unmedicated) and she was a pitocin birth. It IS possible to endure the pitocin contractions. It definitely is! Just relax! Don't listen to anyone when you're contracting ... focus on RELAXING!
Post a Comment