Last night Tim and I went to our first Bradley Method Review class. It was actually Tim's idea as he wanted to brush up on some of those coaching skills and refresh himself with all the details of labor. It is normally a 12 week course but as a review student you can pick the ones you want to attend. I must admit I was going into this with a "been there, done that" attitude. But I still thought it would be nice to get out and chat in the car over a cup of coffee (it's a 35 minute drive) and spend some time focusing on the bulge in my belly.
Well, I had an immediate attitude adjustment when we entered the class late and a video of a woman having a natural labor was already playing. I sat there glued to screen in amazement and of course got a lump in my throat when she delivered the baby. It was so different watching these videos with one natural childbirth under my belt. There was now a reference point. I began to remember how intense labor can be, how tired I was at the end, and the pushing... oh, the pushing. I gulped and thought to myself, "I really did this? And I have to do this again?" OK, we'll it's time to get ready. I began doing Kegels right there in my seat and the goal for the week is 150 per day. I got tired at around 30.
Did I ever mention Tim is my hero while I am in labor?? He was absolutely amazing and I expect the same with this baby. I think he enjoyed the class but I think I may have needed this class more than him. I was reminded why natural childbirth is so important to me and I was reminded that my body and mind need to be in shape for this labor to go as smooth as possible. I've been doing well with my diet, but I could do better. I've been talking about doing hydro-fitness classes - now it's time! I need to be firm on my convictions so they don't go out the window when the going gets tough.
When we drove home, we reminisced about Samuel's delivery. He was so alert right after he was born. He looked into our eyes and I knew he recognized my voice. Tim said he can never get out of his head how quickly I could go from complete exhaustion and physical strife to total joy and elation as I cried and said, "my baby, my baby!" the second Samuel was placed on my chest. It is a lovely memory and one that only Tim can describe to me. Last night truly brought out the anticipation of the arrival of this baby girl in 4 more months. We look forward to our next review class - it kind of feels like a date!
6 comments:
Hey, now that you know she's a girl, have you thought at all about what color(s) you might want in a baby blanket? :) I'm almost done with the one for Emma (about time, since she's what, two weeks old now?), and once I'm done I can start on your baby's! :) And obviously I'll need the whole four months, since I seem to get distracted from crocheting easily. LOL
What a wonderful post. :) After Jordyn was born I remember thinking, "There is NO way I'm doing that again!" but a few days later, I had forgotten the reasons why. ;) I hope your childbirth with this little girl goes perfectly, and I'm glad that Tim is there for you no matter what. What a great husband!
It was nice to see you this morning, albeit briefly. Next time we'll have to chat more!
Yes, I think I'm in the same place. I'm mostly looking back at childbirth like "yeah, I got this". When I know that's not how I felt at the time! It's probably a good thing - I'm not feeling scared or nervous all the time like so many do. But I also don't want it to keep me from preparing the way I need to. We are looking for a Bradley class out here that will work for us to do some refreshers. It's hard because Jordan works nights, and we don't have a babysitter. We'll figure it out, though. I know it's important!
I love the pictures. It got me thinking about my labors and I wonder if I can ever do it again. :) It is funny how you worry so much about the pain and then after you give birth, you quickly forget about it. Great post.
I always wanted to take the Bradley class but they were all too far away for us. We went through the book with Eve but didn't follow it when I was actually in labor! But, I have to say it was very educational and helpful in the sense that it let me know exactly what my body was going to go through - this was especially helpful for Daniel.
And I totally understand the "date" thing... we'll take whatever we can get at this point, right!!
That set of pictures is truly awesome! I can feel the emotions!
-Andrea
oh my friend, I've said it once and I'll say it again - you look too good in those pictures to have just given birth!
After two totally painless deliveries;) one medicated birth and one non medicated.... I'll either take painless or non medicated thankyouverymuch! You'll do great with this one too.
Post a Comment